Experience the Thrill of a Stainless Steel Gas Grill!November 12, 2019
A stainless steel gas grill is the ideal balance between two of the most prevalent grilling methods in the world: charcoal grilling and electric grilling. It actually does offer the best of both worlds! They come with some features, which we will learn about below, that do not come with either of the other two types of grills. So if you want to invest in something that looks pretty, is reliable, long-lasting and functional to boot; read on below to discover why the stainless steel gas grill may perfectly suit your bill!
A quick word on the common grill types
Before we get into the meat of our discussion on gas grills, let’s have a quick glance at the other types of grills currently in use.
- Charcoal grills – A die-hard conventional griller would probably not want to part ways with charcoal grilling. He would boast of the unmistakable charbroiled flavor imparted by the charcoal to the meati]=8being seared in the intense heat generated by a charcoal fire. After all, we’re all well-acquainted with the romance of the charcoal barbecue in the country with pets, children, friends, and family. The charcoal bbq grill is a ritual in itself, with the head of the family affectionately scolding the kids to leave the dog alone and the wife helping her husband with the long prep and lighting the charcoal fire. Yes, just set up the grill equipment, lighting the fuel and then getting on with the grilling is a time-consuming affair. But it’s so rewarding! The effort and time put into the charcoal grill by everyone in the family to make the BBQ success is what makes it worthwhile.
2. Electric grills – On the other hand, the modernist would swear by the ease and portability offered by an electric grill. He would happily explain that electric grills come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and unlike a charcoal grill, they do not emit carcinogens into the meat and out into our atmosphere. He would also stress that electric grills can be turned on and off in an instant, and do not need the time and care that a charcoal one does. While electric grills do not eat up as much time or effort as the conventional charcoal grill, they do tend to spike up the electricity bills if used on a regular basis. They also need to be constantly plugged into a power source, which is usually an AC wall-power socket. But then, nothing comes close to the convenience and privacy afforded by the electric bbq grill to the young couple who’ve just moved into their brand new condo. All they want is to enjoy a nice, quiet and romantic barbecue without setting off smoke and fire alarms and alarming or upsetting neighbors.
Features of the Stainless Steel Gas Grill
Now that we’re acquainted with the common grill types, let’s look at some of the features of the gas grill, to better understand it’s the scope of use.
- Sturdy Stainless Steel Grates – These are required for maintaining even temperatures while searing meat. The fact that the construction material is stainless steel makes the grates even more durable than other ones, like cast-iron.
- Electronic Igniter – These are much more ergonomic and reliable than the rotary or push-button ones.
- Fuel Gauge – A gauge is essential for monitoring the availability of propane in the tank. This can be purchased separately if it isn’t already a part of the grill. Come to think of it, this is probably one of the most important features – for keeping the bbq party alive and fun!
- Tube Burner with Warranty – These tube burners are found below the grid where most of the grill’s cooking takes place. These are the workhorses of the entire grill unit and see extensive use during the grill’s lifetime. Naturally, this is the part of the grill that has to be replaced most often. Hence a warranty for a significant number of years accompanying the tube burners is a very good bet.
- Side Burner – These are a handy and welcome addition to the main features discussed above. These are great for reheating food while the main grill unit is busy belting out seared meat for the hungry party. When required, these side burners also double up as searing burners.
- Infrared Ceramic Rotisserie Burner – This is so helpful for searing steaks and chops that require that extra powerful surge of heat. It is best for slow-roasting meat and fruits which is what rotisserie cooking is all about.
This list is by no means exhaustive. A gas grill can come with a lot more options like dedicated storage space and a pull-out tray for a propane tank, LED-backlit knobs or dials for easy operation in the dark, and switchability between propane and natural gas or LPG.
Let’s now look at a few specific characteristics of the gas grill.
- Impact on the environment – While LPG or propane are not 100% green or even close to the electric grill when it comes to minimizing carbon footprint, they sure beat the hell out of a charcoal grill that is really messy and high on carcinogenic emissions. There’s also the worry about getting ash within the meat when using a charcoal grill.
- Charbroiled taste – Charcoal grills have a strong charbroiled taste that is just impossible to replicate on gas or electric grillers. Having said that, gas grills are still able to impart a dense, smoky flavor to the meat they’re cooking – to a certain extent. Electric grillers, while most efficient and easy on the environment, do not have any such significant effect on the food cooked in them.
- Portability and size – Gas grills are generally much larger than their electric and charcoal counterparts. True, an electric grill, for which a constant AC power supply is needed, may not be easy to use in a jungle or desert. Also, though charcoal grills can be much smaller and more portable, the charcoal needs to be carried along wherever you intend to use them. Similarly, gas grills can be made portable by carrying along with a propane tank which will constantly feed the unit with gas once the cooking has started. A gas grill can also be hooked up to LPG or natural gas lines, taking away their portability altogether. An important thing to be kept in mind here is that propane is highly flammable and the propane tank in careless hands is a considerable health hazard.
- Versatility – Gas grills can deliver more cooking variety due to the availability of different cooking surfaces like flat and ribbed grills, non-stick, rotisserie, wok, etc. They can cook a number of different foods at different temperatures, all at the same time. So if you have put in a lot into your dream bbq machine, chances are it’ll handle all kinds of food with ease – be it pasta, rotisserie or rice.
- Control on temperature – A thermometer on an electric grill is nowadays a pretty standard feature. But some high-end gas grills feature a thermometer as well. It is easier to regulate the temperature on a gas grill compared to on a charcoal grill, while electric grills are best suited for precision tasks. A thermometer enhancement can always be added to a gas grill later on.
Popular gas grill brands in the market
- Broilmaster – This is one of the established and renowned brands in the market. They offer a host of standard features and are very convenient to use. They allow cooking options for a crowd of any size. Broilmasters have been known for their longevity and quality since 1966. They have been treated like heirlooms and passed down from generation to generation in many families. The Broilmaster Stainless gas grill series was introduced in 2018. All the original features of the original Broilmaster have been overhauled to a new sleek design. The typical Broilmaster multi-level cooking grids, retractable rack and Bow Tie Burner have been transitioned to this new-age lineup.
- Brinkmann – This is another respected brand like the one mentioned above. They are a comparatively economical and reliable option compared to other brands in the market. These units are well-constructed and built to stand the test of time. The power output of the larger models ranges around 45,000 BTUs. The smaller modes put out anything between 12,000 and 1,500 BTUs.
- Lynx – This is a deluxe brand that makes grills for the most discerning buyers. Their product is professional-grade with very little competition. They have an extensive range that is a pleasure to check out. This brand is obviously meant for those who want the best of the best for their premium cuts of meat.
Our message to all BBQ enthusiasts:
There’s nothing wrong in dreaming of reaching the top of the backyard grilling “sport!” Take it from us: you’re nothing short of a superhero as you slowly tread through your lawn towards your new gas grill gleaming in the sunlight. Children and adults alike gawk at your bald head and paunch in admiration, as you slowly but surely make your way in your vest and overalls, beer bottle in hand and a proud smile on your face! Just be sure to get the best quality of fresh bbq meat and seafood, fruit and vegetables from Jim’s Home Fresh Deliveries, for we boast of a fantastic range of fresh and organic produce you’ll love to barbecue with!